Setting Up *****SPAM***** Mail Filter Rules In Microsoft Outlook Express
Note: These instructions apply only to POP3 mail accounts. Mail filter rules in Outlook Express do not function on IMAP or HTTP accounts.
- Load Outlook Express. Go to TOOLS > MESSAGE RULES > MAIL:
- If the 'Message Rules' dialog box is displayed, click 'New':
- Create a new mail rule as follows:
- Under Step 1 (Conditions), check the box for 'Where the Subject line contains specific words'
- Under Step 2 (Actions), check the box for 'Move it to the specified folder'
- Under Step 3 (Rule Description), click the link for 'contains specific words'
- When prompted for a specific word or phrase, type '*****SPAM*****' and then click 'Add'. Click 'OK' to close the dialog box.
- Under Step 3 (Rule Description), click the link for 'Specified Folder'.
- Click the 'New Folder' button. Type 'Filtered Spam' for the folder name and then click 'OK'. Click 'OK' again to close the Move dialog box.
- Under Step 4 (Name), enter a name for your rule and click 'OK'.
- The Message Rules dialog box will be displayed.
- If you have multiple rules, you will probably want the spam rule to be applied first. Rules are applied according to their order from top to bottom. Select the spam rule and then click the Move Up button to move this rule to the top of the list.
- If you only want to apply this rule to new messages, click OK to close the dialog box.
- If you want to apply the rule to currently download messages, check the box for the spam rule and click Apply Now.
- If you chose to apply the spam rule now, the Apply Mail Rules Now dialog box will be displayed.
- Ensure that spam filter rule is highlighted.
- If you want to apply the rule to a folder other than the one displayed in the Apply to Folder field, click Browse to select a new folder.
- Click 'Apply Now' to apply the spam rule to the selected folder.
- Click 'Close' to close the Apply Mail Rules Now dialog box.
- Click 'OK' to close the Message Rules dialog box.