This warning is not intended to cause you panic but we cannot over-stress the importance of taking these steps immediately. This is because the UK’s National Crime Agency (NCA) has taken temporary control of the communications used to connect with infected computers, but expects only a very limited window of opportunity to ensure you are protected.
What you need to do NOW…
- Go to one of the links to internet security software companies at the bottom of this page to download a free tool to scan for Gameover Zeus and CryptoLocker, and remove them from your computer. We advise you do this even if you haven’t had a communication from your ISP.
- Do not open attachments in emails unless you are 100% certain that they are authentic.
- Make sure your internet security software is up-to-date and switched on at all times.
- Make sure your Windows operating system has the latest Microsoft updates applied. These normally include the latest security precautions.
- Make sure your software programs have the latest manufacturers’ updates applied. These normally include the latest security precautions.
- Make sure all of your files including documents, photos music and bookmarks are backed up and readily available in case you are no longer able to access them on your computer.
- Never store passwords on your computer in case they are accessed by Gameover Zeus or another aggressive malware program.